Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Kingdom of Dumplings - SF

I'm surprised at some reviews of this place because I absolutely think it lives up to the reviews, the hype and all. This was a very unsuspecting visit for me.




The bf surprised me during one of my crazy work weekends with a small escape to SF to eat one of my favorite foods... dumplings! I absolutely love dumplings of all kinds, fillings, steamed, boiled, what have you. This place was perfect because it gave me just that ... dumplings of all sorts and especially XLBs. For those of you who don't know, an XLB (xiao long bao) is a sort of famous Shanghai-nese dish where a bun filled with meat is also filled with a cube of slightly frozen "soup" so when its steamed, the frozen "soup" becomes liquid and you end up with a little dumpling with soup in it. Delicious with a little ginger and some vinegar.







Their XLB... I'm not impressed.

However! Their other dumplings (mainly steamed) were delightful. The skin was perfectly cooked and had the right kind of chewy texture without being hard or mushy. Their filling was just the right amount of seasoning, meat and veggies depending on which one you pick, and their other traditional Chinese dishes are fantastic. Being kind of a native and growing up in China for over 10 years, it really brought back childhood memories of my favorite dishes. This place is an A+.

No comments:

Post a Comment